A trend for being able to get great overhead shots or establishing footage, a drone can be a great tool for anyone looking to up their photography or videography game.
We’ve already covered what makes a good gaffer, a good director of photography, and even a good camera operator. Today, however, we’re going to see what makes a good drone operator to help you get the best overhead shots possible!
What does having a drone add to your video production?
Having a camera on a drone is a great way to really add that extra something to your video production. The benefits of using a drone are limitless, but the most popular are:
A new perspective- a drone can reach heights that humans wouldn’t be able to otherwise.
A more comprehensive shot list- with a drone, you can easily get different shots and angles that would be otherwise difficult or impossible to get.
Flexibility- drones are small and lightweight, making them easy to transport and set up.
Speed- drones can move quickly and cover a lot of ground, making them great for getting those sweeping shots.
No need to worry about finding the right location- with a drone, you can set up your shot anywhere!
Increased safety for you and your equipment- since the drone is doing all the work, you don’t have to worry about putting yourself or your camera in danger.
More engaging content for your viewers- let’s face it, drones are just really cool. Adding drone footage to your video is sure to wow your audience.
An increased social media following- who doesn’t love a good drone shot? Adding some well-executed drone footage to your social media channels is a great way to gain some new followers.
As you can see, there are many reasons why having a drone can be a great asset to your video production. If you’re thinking about adding a drone to your production, you’ll want to make sure that you have an excellent drone operator to work the drone.
What Qualities Should a Drone Operator Have?
But what separates a good drone operator from a bad one? Here are five qualities that make a good drone operator:
1) They know the drone’s capabilities and limitations – A good drone operator will know exactly what their drone is capable of and won’t push it to its limits. They understand that drones are flying machines and need to be treated as such. They also understand how it flies and moves in order to be able to get the best shots possible with their specialized equipment.
2) They are aware of their surroundings – A good drone operator is always aware of their surroundings and pays attention to any potential hazards. They know how to avoid obstacles and steer clear of areas where they could pose a danger to others. They also know the legalities of flying in the location they’re in and always follow the rules and regulations, such as the top height a drone can fly safely.
3) They have a steady hand – A good drone operator has a steady hand, both when flying the drone and when operating the camera. This is important for getting clear, stable shots. A shaky hand can ruin otherwise great footage.
4) They are creative – A good drone operator is creative and knows how to get the most out of their drone to create interesting and engaging shots. They are able to think outside the box and come up with new and innovative ways to use their drone to capture footage.
5) They are responsible – A good drone operator is always responsible with their drone. They understand the importance of safety and take measures to ensure that their drone is being operated in a safe manner. They keep track of their equipment and even things others don’t know to watch such as the finer details of the weather forecast (think “wind speeds” in addition to precipitation and temperatures).
6) They are flexible – A good drone operator is flexible and can adapt to changing conditions. They know how to adjust their plans on the fly and make the necessary changes to ensure that they are able to get the shots they need. Sometimes weather changes quickly or schedules need to be rearranged, so they need to be able to handle a fast-paced working environment.
7) They are passionate – A good drone operator is passionate about their work. They enjoy operating drones and take pride in their ability to capture great footage.
If you’re looking to add a drone to your video production, make sure that you find an operator who possesses these qualities. With a good drone operator on your team, you’re sure to get the amazing footage you need to take your production to the next level.
Where can I find a great Drone Operator?
There are multiple places to find drone operators!
The best option is to look for drone operators who work for established companies in your area. Many production companies, advertising agencies, and even news stations have their own drone teams. You can reach out to these companies directly and inquire about hiring their services.
You can also find drone operators through drone training programs. Many of these programs offer certification, which can help you feel more confident in the operator’s ability.
No matter where you find your drone operator, be sure to ask for references and check their previous work to ensure that they are a good fit for your project.
Why Hire a Drone Operator from C&I Studios?
C&I Studios is a top-rated video production company based in Los Angeles, New York City, Southern Florida, among many other locations. In fact, we offer nationwide coverage! We have a team of experienced and professional drone operators who can capture stunning aerial footage for your project.
When you hire a drone operator from C&I Studios, you can rest assured that you’re getting the best of the best. We only work with operators who possess all of the qualities listed above, so you can be confident that you’re getting high-quality footage.
In addition, we also offer a number of other video production services to help make your project a success. From pre-production to post-production, we have the skills and experience necessary to produce a top-notch video that you’ll be proud of.
If you’re interested in learning more about our drone services or any of our other video production offerings, contact us today! We would be happy to answer any of your questions and discuss your project in further detail. We look forward to hearing from you soon!